Monday 7 June 2010

You know you're in trouble when they pretend it was always so ...

I thought I'd open up with some down. Can't be upbeat all the time, right?
I read a number of sites, blogs, forums - sometimes I even talk to real people, shockingly - about finance. For a long time before the crash, most of the less mainstream commentators were talking about the impending crash, the likely recession and so on. Governments and mainstream media were saying quite the opposite. The longer it went on the more extreme the predictions became about the unprecedented fallout from the crash that we were storing up by propping up the bubble.


We now know how that went.


Even before anything like the green shoots of a fragile recovery were starting to emerge I recall reading about a double-dip recession - where early modest recovery is turns back into recession before things have really started recovery. I note with interest that this idea is now being propagated by the mainstream media.


Stock markets and euro down on double-dip fears  [BBC News]


It may have been there before, but not that I noticed.


Perhaps they will talk about the Bull Trap [Investopedia.com] next.




I'm still not completely sure if we are in the trap, or if we have reached despair. It has to be the trap, because there is plenty more despair to come it appears.

No response to “You know you're in trouble when they pretend it was always so ...”

Leave a Reply